Chan Eunice Grace

Monday, February 2, 2009

various pedagogical approaches

Last week's lesson was about the various pedagogical approaches. We learnt about 8 pedagogical approaches, namely (1) anchored instruction; (2) case-based learning; (3) cognitive apprenticeship; (4) goal-based scenario; (5) inquiry-based learning; (6) knowledge building; (7) problem-based learning; and (8) project-based learning.

I recalled problem-based and project-based learning as the two common approaches that my teachers used, especially project-based learning. The approach required me to come up with questions of my own, and to research on the topic, followed by presenting the findings to the class. By doing research on my own, I found myself learning more compared to merely sitting down in class and listen to what the teacher had to say. Perhaps this is due to more reading up on my part as compared to spoon-feeding alone.

Also, learning becomes more interesting as I not only get to do research, I also get to do interviews on the group of people that I was trying to find out more about. I think I'm suffering from amnesia. Ha. I can't seem to recall anything from my secondary school life. But I do remember when I was in NUS, I took this module called "Changing Landscapes of Singapore", and I was supposed to find out the underlying tension that can be found in Chinatown. Interviews were conducted which made the whole learning journey an interesting and exciting one! We even interviewed this gangster which retired long ago! Haha.

So all these pedagogical approaches aids learning in students. To be honest, I can't really differentiate the various methods still. Some seemed to be overlapping and it seems to me that there can't really be a clear distinction. I hope to be able to be more clear about it in the lessons that are to come. Nonetheless, learning these approaches are indeed helpful to me when I plan my lessons in future! (:

Regarding the ICT tools, I can only recall using concept-mapping tool. Especially for subjects such as biology and social studies, I often use them for easy visualization and memorization. I believe that whatever pedagogical tools that are used, they should fit in nicely with the approach for students to learn. I still don't really know how to go about these. What tools fit in nicely with which approach. Ha. Maybe when I start teaching, I'll find out via trial and error? heh. I think datalogger is useful for biology as it's able to display the data obtained in a graphical form which allows for easy analysis. Shall explore the rest in the coming weeks to come! (:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home